Monday, November 15, 2010

Simply Nuts

As promised, here I am on Monday with another post. I really believe in keeping promises. I will go to absurd lengths to keep promises because they are that important to me. If I say I will be somewhere, I am. If I say I will do something, I will. That's what you get from me. I'm a bit of a nut that way. There are other ways that I am a nut, too. Believe me.

Have you ever tried to remember a name or a word and it will not come to you? Or you've misplaced something? I have. And I can't just let this go. I'm tenacious. Or maybe stubborn is more like it. Maybe it's the Norwegian in me. No, maybe the German. Here nor there I get it from both sides! I can't let it go. I will think about it all day long. This remembering (or lack there of) will consume me. I will let no other thoughts into my probing mind. People will tell me, let it go. As soon as you stop thinking about what you forgot you'll remember it. You will let a new thought or trigger into your mind and you will remember. Yeah, right? I have pondered something so long that I have even let it occupy my dreams. My husband can tell you how much he appreciates it when I finally remember something in the middle of the night and warrant it important enough to wake him up and share. Not so much.

So the other day, this happened to me. I was crazy out of my mind. Could barely function. I couldn't stop trying to remember a person's name. I had to call her. What was I going to do? I don't even have her name to look her up. This is important. I went through all of the letters of the alphabet. No help. I tried to picture her nametag at our last meeting. No go there either. Practiced some breathing exercises. That didn't work. Went through the recycling bin. Yuck. That needs to be cleaned out. I digress. Couldn't find the piece of paper with her name on it. Tossed cushions on furniture. I checked pockets. And then purses. Aha! I switched purses in the past week. There it was. Once lost, now found after a good five hours of fretting. I called her and acted as though my day had gone well. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

And here's the thing. I'm actually quite organized. But every once in a while I get a personal reminder that I certainly can do better. I now have this person's name in my phone. I should be set. Unless of course I lose my phone...

©2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment