Monday, April 25, 2011

Do You Know Why I'm Happy Today?

This is a question that has been asked within my family since Gracie was about two. My dad would say to Gracie, usually in person, do you know why I'm happy today? And Gracie in turn would reply, the sun's out, my freckles, and we're together. This tradition continues today. It gets altered sometimes. Some versions are downright silly. There is a fact that remains with all of the times that the question has been asked and answered. There is a focus on the good things, the positive things in life.

How often do we all find time to complain about something. This is a good thing. When done in moderation. Complaining can result in changes. Especially when something is wrong in life. It can be done in a positive way. A way that will guarantee an effort to make things better. That is constructive complaining. But when complaining becomes the mainstay in life? When all a person can do is make negative comments about their husbands, their children, their job or lack thereof. When fault is found in everything from purchases, to services, to food ordered in a restaurant, this is when you enter the danger zone. We all have encountered people who do this. These types of people are actually very sad, I believe. Perhaps they are not very happy within their own life situation. What they may not realize is that the constant stream of negativity isn't venting and it isn't constructive, it's actually adding to the problem or problems at hand. It may actually have become the bigger toxic problem. I certainly don't want to suggest people don't have the right to be sad or frustrated. Life is not always easy. Life is not always fair. It really is easier to complain sometimes. I do however feel that we have the ability to make change. Even small ones that can greatly impact our own lives as well as others.

So here is my suggestion. Baby steps to a more positive outlook on life. Let's all wake up each day and look for the simple pleasures in life that make us happy. Let's start with three like dad and Gracie do. It can be the same three every day if you want. Make an effort to see joy in the little things and I think it will get easier to see joy in the big things. So, why am I happy today? The sun's out, my coffee is waking me up and I'm posting my blog before 10 a.m. Whew! That may not sound like much to you, but for me on a Monday morning...it's huge!

©2011 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment