Monday, August 15, 2011

What Really Matters

I find myself worrying about things that don't really matter in the long run. I'm not a so called worry wart, but I worry just the same. I should say that I worry less than I used to. That is a gift that age has given me. Words of wise older people in my life now ring true. I have been told that worrying is useless because it is a waste of time. I have been told that worrying doesn't change things. This is also true.

But what if something or someone is completely out of our control? What if there is nothing that we can do? Is it better to worry or do nothing at all? I just read a little piece of knowledge that worriers actually are proven to live longer. This, I find hard to believe. I guess there are statistics to back it up, but still...

When I find myself in a situation ripe for worry there are a few things that I do. First, I give myself the worst case scenario. To some this may seem like a negative thing to do. For me it prepares me and sets into motion the feeling of things can only get better. Then I try to think logically about the situation. I evaluate it. I dissect it. I try to come up with solutions or things that I may be able to help the situation.

There are times when tears and laughter are appropriate. I have a wicked sense of humor and love that same trait in others. We all know that comedy and tragedy are closely related. And this is the final thing that I do. I pray. I am a spiritual person. I don't force my beliefs on anyone. For me this is important. This is what really matters. I take stock of all that I have. And by this I don't mean possessions. I mean faith, family and friends. I make each day count. I try to live a regret free life. This is my focus and to me this is what really matters.

©2011 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment