Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Letter To Gracie

This past week we were up at the cottage and did lots of walking down memory lane. Stories were told and laughs were enjoyed. It got me thinking. There is so much I want to tell Gracie. And so on my drive home from my week and a half of bliss, I made a list for her:

Drive no more than five over the limit, baby. This was brought home to me about two weeks ago. Scott and I had just switched from his driving to me taking a turn at the wheel. No further than three miles down the road I was pulled over. For excessive speeding. I got off with a warning. Thankfully. But it brought up a story of days gone by. Of Scott's insurance dropping us after we returned from our honeymoon because of two speeding tickets I had received. Yes, do not follow in your mama's footsteps here.

A good bra is always a good investment. It makes a world of difference. Enough said.

Be sweet. Even when you don't feel like it. When people aren't being sweet and you are, it has a way of speaking volumes. A lot of the time people will rectify their behavior.

Find a mate that is beautiful on the inside. The outside attraction is often the first step. But what's most important is the beauty of the person's soul. I lucked out on this one. Your dad fits the bill on both accounts for me.

Coffee is the nectar of gods. I'm not kidding.

Trust your gut. Your mom is psychic. I trust my gut. Like all of the time. My gut has served me well. It has kept me out of danger. It has helped me with life altering decisions. Trust your gut feeling.

Your heart will break. Someone, a friend, family member or boyfriend will hurt you. Perhaps unintentionally. But guaranteed you will be hurt. Don't let this stop you from opening your heart to people and situations. Here is the truth. The heart heals. If you allow it. And when it heals it is even stronger.

Less is more. Buy good shoes. No, great shoes. They should look nice and feel better. And this costs money. Big money. And speaking of money, be smart. Stay out of debt. Pay your bills and save for a rainy day. There will be rainy days.

Tattoos. Wait. I'm not saying don't get one. That would be hypocritical of me. But wait. And make sure it means something to you. Something that you can live with your whole life.

Find a favorite swear word. I know, I can hardly believe I'm writing this. The reality is that you will need to vent or blow off steam sometimes. So find one that you can live with and that won't gravely offend others. And every time you use it, pay your child one dollar. Hopefully the word won't be used too often.

Finally, please know that I am always here for you. Even when you need to talk to me about something that you know I don't want to hear. Especially then. I don't expect you to be perfect. I'm not. Your dad's not. We know that you will make mistakes. It's how you react to them that makes or breaks you.

One more thing. Do things that make you uncomfortable. Not in a bad way, but a good way. Try new things. Confront the unknown. You will feel and be very brave.

I know there's more. I know that you'll roll your eyes at some of this. And I'm ok with that. You are a strong, smart and beautiful young lady. I know I had a little something to do with that. And this makes me smile.











No comments:

Post a Comment