Sunday, February 3, 2013

Too Much Of A Good Thing

I know right off the bat that this post will strike a nerve with some of you.  I'm ok with that.  Because a nerve has  been struck with me.  I think that technology is ruining family life.  There.  I said it.  Computers, cell phones and iDevices are a convenience for sure.  I happen to own them all.  And I'll be the first to say that I enjoy them.  These technological devices are definitely a convenience.

I need my cell phone.  It is the way I clock in and out of work.  It is the way that I stay in touch with my out of town family.  It is the way my husband and daughter are able to reach me in an emergency.  This is where the need ends.  And the dangerous slippery slope of wanting the technology begins.  It has become the norm to use cell phones as communication.  But there are times when this is taken to the extreme.  People are sitting in the same room and text each other.  I saw a couple in a restaurant who sat through lunch never saying a word.  And they both were on their cell phones texting or using the internet the whole time.  Sad.  I actually read about a couple that were in bed and texted each other good night.  Really.

I have been around kids that are absolutely unable to live without their phones.  They literally freak out if they aren't able to respond to the latest Facebook posting.  Kk. Lol.  I kid you not.  I have seen kids almost shake with withdrawal from using their phones.  I live in a house where the television and computers have taken over the living room.  And because of this, conversation has been minimal and feelings are hurt.

I hardly feel that I need to mention the overuse and misuse of the phone in cars.  Accidents happen all of the time because of this recklessness.  I was almost hit the other day while I was walking across the street because someone was texting while driving.  And how many of us are glad to have a distraction for our kids when we need them to be quiet?  I get it.  I've done it myself.  What I don't get is why this has become the norm.  Electronics shouldn't babysit your kids.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had it.  Enough.  Too much of anything good can be bad.  Just ask my girl.  She has to figure out how to make it through the next twelve hours without her phone.







No comments:

Post a Comment