Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

It's the famous day of hearts. The holiday that you either love or hate. You love it because you are in love or hate it because you're not. It can be almost sickening with all of the cupids, flowers, candy, cards, etc. Sorry to all my friends in the business! I'm going to make a suggestion for this particular holiday. Here goes.

Let's just celebrate each other. Celebrate anyone you like. It can be your neighbor, your friend, your sister/brother, your husband/wife, child, parent, you get it. And I'm going to take a moment to celebrate someone from my past. I'd like to tell you about her. She is the closest thing that I have had to a big sister. We used to live across the street from each other. She never made me feel like I was bothering her. She raised my training wheels up bit by bit until I learned how to ride my bike. She gave me her hand me down jeans that were worn to perfection and man, did I feel cool when I wore them! She makes the best cheesecake. I haven't talked to this person that I celebrate for quite some time. I just found out that she has an inoperable brain tumor. I am so sad. And yet I celebrate her. She fills my heart with her courage. She has put into perspective the stuff I was complaining about yesterday. It doesn't matter that much. It's just life.

That's my simple point for the day. Life is for living and celebrating. Celebrate those that have made a difference for you. Love them. And go ahead and buy the flowers, cards and candy, too!
© 2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment