Sunday, February 28, 2010

These Times They Are A Changin'

Does anyone really like change. We all have to live with it. Sometimes on a daily basis. But do we like it? It can make us feel unsure and uncomfortable and down right scared. I love the quote from Rosanne Cash, "The key to change...is to let go of the fear." Easier said than done, right? In the first post to my blog I mentioned something in my life that really ROCKED it. It wasn't just my life---it was my husband and daughter's too. I could even go further and include my extended family. We had a job opportunity that was the perfect situation that you could possibly imagine. Work that my husband is great at, with a company that respects their employees. State of the art equipment and a benefit package that would make you weep.

Then on a dime, at the very last stages of the process, without any explanation things did not work out to our benefit. Devastation isn't even the word that describes what our family experienced. We had been led to believe that this was going to happen. Yes, there were a few final hurdles, but it was looking solid. And then the call or should I say text that read "I'm coming home." A day early. I knew this wasn't good. My husband was back in town within three hours of that text message. No real insight as to what happened. His gut and his analytical mind told him that everything went well. He enjoyed meeting the people he would potentially work with. Liked the facilities. He was getting excited. And then nothing.

Bless the Human Resources person that he worked with because she did stay in contact and answer a few questions for him. She seems so kind and really thought that this was a done deal, too. But through a series of unfortunate circumstances it obviously didn't happen.

So here we embark on a week of change at our house. The first week that my husband starts a new job---away from us during the week. We know that we are fortunate to have a job because many don't. The circumstances are less than ideal, though. We will make the best of it and hope that it turns into something better. We have each other. We have our faith and our health and for all of these things we are grateful. We'll see him on the weekends and holidays. Already planning our first trip to travel and see him. He has a great pool where he's staying. My daughter wanted me to mention that.

I'll close with a quote from Benjamin Franklin, "When you're finished changing, you're finished." Well, Ben, we're not even close to being done yet!
©2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment