Monday, March 1, 2010

Olympic Withdrawal

I have a confession to make. I watched more t.v. in the last sixteen days than I may have watched all year. As many of you know, I am a reader. I am in no way anti-t.v. But here's a basic fact that limits my time watching the tube. We don't have cable or satellite or any digital whatever. No, I am not living back in the 60's. Although I sometimes feel that I really was born to be a hippie. We just have chosen to not have cable t.v. We haven't had it for almost 13 years. We've saved a lot of money without cable.

I know I am missing all sorts of programs that make life richer. Truly, I know this. But here's a little cheat. Some of these programs you can see for free on the internet, or you can get the season on DVD at the library. Anyway, I digress. The point I was making is that I LOVED the Winter Olympics this year. I never have before. What changed? What changed was the human interest stories that absolutely made the Olympics real for me. It made the athletes a daughter, a son, wife or a husband, a dad or a mom. It brought the whole deal to my level. Because you see, I am a daughter, a wife and a mom. I could relate. No, not to the training and dedication to a sport that is crazy fast and totally out of my league. But to the fact that these athletes have lives. They have people that support them. They have had loved ones die. They have struggled. That's real.

And the commercials. Does anyone ever tire of hearing Morgan Freeman's voice? They aimed at the same lofty goal. They showed the triumphs and defeat that the athletes go through. And most importantly some really smart ad executives remembered to thank the moms. Simply brilliant!
©2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment