Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just Call Me Julia!

All right. Sit down. Don't drink anything---for fear of choking or just making a mess. Are you all settled? All dangers of hurting yourself are at bay? We can continue.

I am not a cook and never have been. But I do like to eat. Here's a little personal history for you. My Mom is a great cook! So is my sister. Where did I fall short? They cooked and I set the table. The utensils were placed correctly, napkins folded neatly, nice flower arrangement. And then the three of us would get to talking and I would just sit back and watch the two of them spin their magic.

Fast forward. College. The food at the time was really bad. Mystery meats and such. Captain Crunch for breakfast, salad bar for lunch and dinner. Post graduation. I found myself a job with a restaurant in the building. My favorite benefit to the job. Never kept more than soda and cereal at home. Then I met my man. I had lived in my apartment six months when I met him. We were out on a weekend and brought a frozen pizza home to make. The next weekend we did the same thing. I went to turn the oven on to preheat and much to my amazement it already was---preheated. I had left the oven on all week! I should also tell you that before the pizza incident, the oven had never been on. Remember, I lived in this apartment for six months before meeting the love of my life.

Well, lucky me. I landed a man who can cook. Whew! And he is a great cook. I mean it, I'm not just buttering him up now. But he didn't have the time. So with that little kick in the rear I got somewhat motivated. Love to grill. Crockpots are great. Eating out is ever better, but expensive. So I have finally come to a point in my life where I cook because I have to, and I do it BIG! I bought my big stock pot at Target. It allows me to quadruple soup recipes with nary a spill. Love it. When I buy meat I separate, marinate and freeze. Ready made meals in a jiffy. When I make casseroles, meatloaf, spaghetti, I make amounts like I'm serving a Lenten supper at church and freeze it.

I bake under the same rules. And I'm a huge advocate of the big bowls of fruit and veggies in my kitchen. Plus those heaping bowls of fresh produce double as the centerpiece to my correctly set table!
© 2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment