Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More or Enough

We're all living in the same economy right now and times are lean. I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know. We are absolutely barraged with this information every day on the news and in the papers. So I have a question for you. How do you shop? For more or enough?

What do I mean? Do you shop for more stuff because you can, because it's on sale, because it gives you comfort to have more? Or are you a shopper of enough. Enough to eat for a week. Enough to wear for a season. I'm an ENOUGH shopper myself. I know MORE shoppers though. I prefer my way because I like things simple and cleared out. I also have have environmental concerns that I often think about. Do you know that there is now a chip bag that disintegrates quickly in compost? Cool. What will they think of next?

I saw a show this weekend about a hoarder. Wow. I had never seen anything like it before. This woman's husband had died and because of the tragedy in her life she tried to fill this void by shopping. She never threw anything away. Rooms were stacked to the ceiling with not only material goods, but the garbage that was created by them. Even food garbage. So sad. Once she received counseling and help disposing of her things, the woman's life took a turn for the better.

So when I say MORE shopper I don't mean hoarder. I wanted to qualify that. And you know what? The MORE shoppers are the ones who always have things on hand. I know because they have come through for me in a pinch. When I have run out of something. When I didn't have enough. The more shoppers also buy things on sale and get great deals.

Now, as I get ready to move my household, to where I'm not sure yet, I am glad that I am an enough person. Less to pack, move and dispose of. But I do have to be thankful for the more people. We balance each other out. For me, right now though, enough is good.
© 2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment