Monday, April 5, 2010

Moment By Moment

Have you ever tried to explain to a child that they should live in the moment? First of all---most of the time they do, so this may seem like an unnecessary task. But I happened to have birthed a planner. Now that we have some direction in our lives, and know where we are moving, she wants to boogie. She's cleaning out drawers and lining up books by topic and wants me to get her boxes and a Sharpie. This girl wants to pack! I had to sit her down and run through some simple breathing techniques and gently remind her that it is two months until closing.

She needed to be told that if we pack up our whole house now, what will we live with day to day? I would rather wait a while longer and sift through things slowly. Get rid of some, sell some and pack the rest when it's time. That's a hard concept for a ten and a half year old to wrap their minds around. Actually, I talk a great game, but it's hard for my 43 year old mind to embrace, too. Our new town and new house are things to look forward to. But to leave the only house that she's ever known and the town where her family and friends are, these are things too painful to think about at times.

I explained the saying "hurry up and wait" to her today. It's like running in place, I said. You're supposed to be in the ready mode at all times until you get the call to action. It's exhausting, I told her. And it's sort of a waste of time, too. Kind of like worrying. So, today I suggested let's live in the moment. Let's take one day at a time and enjoy it for what it is. There will be sad times and mad times and hopefully lots of glad times. But if we take it slowly and remember to breathe, all will be accomplished, memories and plans will be made, and the packing will get done. In the meantime, we will have had two months of great moments in the town that we hail from. With the people we love. Gracie (and me, too), breathe in two three, out two three...
© 2010 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment