Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sweet Dreams

I'm working diligently on one of my New Year's resolutions. I am working on getting eight hours of sleep a night. Sounds simple enough. But it isn't for me. I'm not an insomniac, but I am a light sleeper. This has proved to be beneficial in my earlier years. When Scott was a police officer he often got calls in the middle of the night. These calls varied from transport calls to crime scene investigation calls. The transport calls were for 72 hour holds. Generally to Wausau when we lived in Antigo and to Fond du Lac when we lived in Appleton. These calls were for people that were mentally unstable and needed to be looked after for the mandated 72 hrs. The phone would ring and he wouldn't hear it. He sleeps like a rock. When I first met Scott he would set five alarms to wake up. I'm not kidding. This is where I come in. I'm a light sleeper and answer the phone before it rings three times.

Gracie was always a good sleeper. Hardly ever woke up. But if she even made a peep, I heard it. Then a couple of years ago our dog Winston got sick. He was up several times in the night and I heard him and was able to let him out every time. Same thing with Chester. Towards the end of his life he often needed to get up and I would hear him. So for about a month after Chester died I was able to sleep my eight. Then came the new pups. They like to sleep in our room. And I'm very ok with that. For goodness sake, Bailey used to sleep in a chicken coop. The boy deserves a good place to sleep. And then there is the Princess Sweet Pea, she has to be there, too. Oh, and did I mention that my husband snores?

So lately my goal has been to create a serene and peaceful environment that lends itself to much sleep for me. For Christmas I received a beautiful bed set. New pillows, shams, comforter, bed skirt and the silkiest soft sheets ever. I felt that I needed to continue the theme. Shopping I went. I came home with some accessories for the beautiful new bed set. As I was unloading my purchases Gracie asked me some funny questions. I had bought twigs, rocks and three vases. Mom, she said, are those sticks going to help you sleep? I said indeed they are sweetheart. After I arranged the sticks and stones in the vases and put them on the dresser I called Gracie in for her opinion. Ah, it does look like a spa in here, she said. That's what I was going for I replied.

So how is this slumbering experiment going? Well, if I get into bed before the dogs do, and fall asleep before Scott does, it's a slice of heaven. This spa like atmosphere is really working for me. My eight really is great. It is the simple things that mean the most.

©2011 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment