Monday, July 25, 2011

A Mom's Love

This story is from 1993. I was on my way home from work and decided to stop by my in-laws house to say hi to Evie, my mother-in-law. She was at home all of the time. Not working anymore. She had undergone chemo and was recuperating. I thought I would stop by and just say a quick hello. I knocked softly in case she was sleeping. I opened the door and walked in equally as quiet. Evie? I called. In here. And there she was stretched out on the couch listening to some sort of nature sounds. Actually, I think it was whales and oceanic recordings. I asked if she was meditating. As much as I can, was her reply. She added, I wish I would have taken more time to do this earlier in my life.

When we had visited a while I said I should be going. Stay, she said. I said you're tired. I know she said. I'm always tired. And I know I'm dying. Will you stay? Of course I will. Let's make those fabric wrapped fruits that I have on my kitchen table. A crafter I am not. I don't think so. You know I'm challenged in that department was my excuse. I'll teach you was how Evie responded to that. We cut, shaved and shaped styrofoam circles into "fruit." Then we ripped fabric strips and glued them onto the fruit. In the end we laughed and cried and I actually did learn how to make a craft that day. We cleaned up and I started to bid my farewell. Evie said, call Scott and see if you can stay for dinner. Oh, I don't want to impose. Family never imposes was what she said. We stayed for dinner and enjoyed a lovely meal and great conversation. Hugs and kisses were exchanged and Scott and I went home.

What I had planned to be a quick visit to say hi turned into a four hour talk, craft session and dinner. I don't regret a minute of it. It was one of the last times that I was able to spend alone time with Evie. It is a day I will always remember. I will always cherish. She shared things with me about life that are priceless. She told me stories about her son, my husband, that no one else could ever tell. Sweet memories. She taught me that it's ok to meditate and take time for yourself. It's ok to throw your plan for the day away. It's ok to try something new. And it's wonderful to take time to be with the ones that you love. You never know how many of those precious moments you will have. I am so blessed to have known such a beautiful human being.

©2011 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment