Friday, November 11, 2011

This Is A Little Embarrassing...

You know when something dawns on you? When you are hit upside the head with a reality? This happened to me this week. It hit me in the middle. Really. My middle.

I am constantly running around at my job. Up and down stairs. Often carrying a lot. This may be the most active job I have ever had. Besides waitressing. I have been slowly, but surely, losing a bit of weight. I must say I'm a little proud of this. Don't worry, you would still recognize me if we ran into each other at the mall. It's not that much weight.

So, the other day I'm making dinner. Trying to stay within our healthy guidelines is sometimes a challenge. We make it work. Our meals are simple, but delicious. On this particular evening I was making my seasoned potatoes. Yum. We all love them. They are easy. I cut up the potatoes, toss them in olive oil and season them with black pepper and a variety of seasonings from Penzey's Spices. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I always make a huge baking sheet full of these spuds.

Scott had just finished grilling our main course. I pulled the pan of potatoes out of the oven and set them on the stove. I then reached above the stove for a water bottle. SIZZLE. OUCH. I can't believe that just happened. What you ask? This is the embarrassing part. I singed my muffin top. Yes, you read this right. My muffin top. You know the extra bit of weight around your middle. Or should I say around my middle. Are you kidding me? My shirt raised a tiny bit when I reached up into the cupboard and my bare skin touched the edge of the sizzling hot pan. This resulted in a burn. On my tummy. About two inches long.

This spot is most sensitive. It's my waist. The irritation from my pants and belt are endless. I'm always one to look for the best in things. So here goes. I have been hit right in my middle and have been reminded that a lighter and healthier lifestyle is in my best interest. And one more thing. Perhaps when I am cooking I should wear an apron.

©2011 Ann M. De Broux

No comments:

Post a Comment