Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Creature Comforts

I like to keep life simple. What is most important can't be bottled or bagged or put on a shelf. I just wanted to get that out of my system. There are a few things that I would call important or necessary to my every day style of living. Perhaps more accurately described as things that are creature comforts.

A piece of fruit and two cups of coffee in the morning. Absolutely a must have. These things jump start my day. Blue jeans. My clothing item of choice. I've tried other pants, skirts, dresses. By far, jeans are where it's at. I can wear them year around. They are comfortable, durable and can be dressed up or down.

Lotion and lip balm. Pretty much all I need. I can't stand feeling itchy. A ponytail band. If I'm not wearing one, there's one in my pocket. Guaranteed. My cell phone. That's in my pocket for sure. I am able to stay in touch with those who can't be bottled, bagged or put on a shelf.

What made me think of these creature comforts was a documentary I watched last week. It was a story of fighting for what is right. For what is ours. For what is important to our generation and generations to come. And how fighting this valiant fight caused a family lose everything. Except each other. It got me to thinking. What could I live without? What was important to my every day existence? And the list started with those that can't be bottled, bagged or shelved. But what do I find comfort in each and every day? I sort of surprised myself by coming up with a short list. These things could easily be thrown in a backpack. Or these items could be thrown away. They really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I would like to believe that I would fight valiantly for important rights and for the people I love. In some ways I already have. That being said, a couple of cups of coffee can fuel the warrior in all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment